Let’s talk about social media and how it relates to your new business. By now we all know what social media is, how it works, and why it is important. When you are starting a new business or growing your business’ social media presence, it’s important to prioritize high quality content and interactions. By no means is social media a great place to take a quality OVER quantity approach. The key is to prioritize, both, quality and quantity in a manner than leads to CONSISTENCY.
We know that a company’s social media presence matters whether your business is B2C or B2B. Social media, for many of us, may be the first point of interaction and exposure to your company.
We know that it’s crucial to your social media presence to put out consistent and cleverly curated content that represents your company’s culture, mission, and brand.
The cannabis industry is brand new. The brands, leaders, power players are all relatively new. The cannabis industry is just now allowed to have a legitimate social media presence. Branding and Marketing in this industry live here right now. The cannabis industry is considered more of a COMMUNITY than an industry and social media helps facilitate this messaging. This industry is different, casual, responsive, young, trendy, and diverse. Social media supports all of that.
We know that it all seems easier said than done. Social media takes time!
Besides content, the other important part of social media that is less talked about is the imperative nature of your social media INTERACTIONS.
Interactions are what build relationships on social media. It’s the “social” part of the platform. Interacting with business and people who are aligned with your company gives you the opportunity to be seen by account holders who could be your potential future clients. At the least, it helps you build your brand. These interactions should be curated and on brand. This is a chance to be associated with products, companies, and people who you deem valuable and aligned with your messaging.
This is one of the many reasons why who you follow is just as important as who follows you.
BUT WE GET IT – Social media can be intimidating! There are so many accounts and so many genres of content.
Each industry has its own set of influencers and power players that, in general, it’s key to pay attention to. We compiled a list of who we think you should be following if you’re building your business in the cannabis industry.
FOLLOW AND CONNECT WITH THESE PEOPLE, COMPANIES AND ACCOUNTS:
- Any CEO who you feel matches your leadership style
- Any company with a culture that is aspirational for you and your new company
- Your competitors
- Publications and accounts that release industry news, general business updates, and relevant current events. We recommend:
- Financial Times (@financialtimes)
- High Times (@hightimesmagazine)
- MJ Biz Daily (@mjbizdaily)
- DOPE Magazine (@dopemagazine)
- Green Entrepreneur (@greenentrepreneur)
- National Cannabis Industry (@nationalcannabisindustry)
- TechCrunch (@techcrunch)
- Tech Company News (@techcompanynews)
- Accenture Technology (@accenturetechnology)
- MTech Acquisition (@MTech)
- Protis Global (@protis.global)
- Brand Strength
- Octavia Wellness (@octaviawellness1)
- Caliva (@gocaliva)
- Cannabrand (@cannabrandco)
- Kikoko (@kikoko_hq)
- Bert Miller, CEO of Protis Global (@bertmillerpg)
- Smoke Wallin, CEO of Vertical Wellness (@smokewallin)
- Tahira Rehmatullah, Founder and CFO of @HypurVentures (@tahirarehm)
- Kimberly Dillon (@kimberlykdillon)
- Pop Culture
- Dabbing Granny (@dabbing_granny)
- Vice (@vice)
- Any charity, non-profit, or philanthropic account or two that aligns with any social messaging your company may promote
- Any Podcast that is cannabusiness or industry-centric
- Plant Prophets on Cannabis Radio
On Instagram you can also follow hashtags. This is a huge opportunity to stay in the loop as well. Make sure you are following general industry hashtags such as #recruitment and #talentattraction and then hashtags that are a bit more catered to whatever niches align with your company specifically such as #cannabisrecruitment #employerbranding.
If you would like assistance or guidance when establishing and building your new business’ employer branding, contact Protis Global’s marketing Marketing Specialist via email: [email protected]