Want a career with purpose? Join a team that is driven by purpose, creating better food, value, and relationships across an entire global ecosystem.
Position Title: Senior Food Scientist, Alternative Proteins
Summary: The Senior Food Scientist position is responsible for executing R&D initiatives for the Global Alternative Protein Team with a primary focus on breakthrough and proactive innovation. This role will enable product leadership in the Alternative Proteins category to align with our overall business strategy and long-range plan.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
• Hands on Scientist with a passion to drive technical excellence, conduct innovative research, and independently plan, design, and execute experiments to develop disruptive alternate protein solutions in support of our business strategy and long-range plan.
• Lead the exploration, evaluation and implementation of novel ingredients and processing techniques at bench or commercial scale as needed using detailed test plans to create groundbreaking products that resonate with evolving market demands.
• Serve as a subject matter expert on alternative protein ingredient technology, providing guidance and support to internal teams regarding its applications in the alternative protein industry.
• Proactively identify and lead scientific efforts to develop new and optimized innovation products that provide high value proposition and meet the needs of our key clients in Alternative Protein Industry.
• Take ownership of ongoing core functional processes, ensuring their successful execution and continuous improvement.
• Take an active role in planning, designing, and executing experiments to drive the company’s long-term objectives within the alternative protein sector.
• Conduct thorough evaluations of functionality, sensory attributes, and nutritional properties of ingredients in finished goods. Assessing prospects of implementation into various category segments and ensuring the quality and appropriateness of these ingredients for product development.
• Plan and execute comprehensive group product evaluations to accurately assess and or track project progress and combine insights to actions that guide project direction.
• Utilize scientific principles, data analysis, and problem-solving skills to identify promising research areas to address unmet needs in the Alternative Protein industry.
• Lead multiple priorities, projects, and timelines concurrently, ensuring efficient execution of technical activities while collaborating closely with cross-functional teams.
• Effectively communicate project progress both internally and externally, fostering strong relationships with clients and suppliers.
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams, providing technical expertise and insights to contribute to disruptive innovation projects within the Alt Protein R&D team and support the commercialization of global innovations in specific markets as needed.
• Analyze experimental data/ scale up data and prepare detailed technical reports to document findings, progress, and potential areas for improvement.
• Provide expert consultation to colleagues and collaborate with Category Specialists to guide material and vendor selection for technical and commercial requirements.
• Foster effective collaboration with internal teams, sharing technical information and development/ research progress to drive innovation and maintain a culture of excellence within the Alternate Protein R&D team.
• Stay up to date with latest advancements in alternative protein technologies through scientific literature reviews and attending pertinent business conferences, seminars, and networking events and share technical knowledge and research findings with the Global and Regional Alt Protein R&D teams, playing a vital role in fostering the expansion and enrichment of the collective knowledge base management efforts within the Alt Protein category.
• Develop technical partnerships with key ecosystem partners, such as academia, research institutions, and technology providers, to explore and collaborate on innovative research initiatives.
• Represent Research and Development (R&D) team in professional business relationships with our valued clients, suppliers, academia, government entities, and other industry stakeholders.
• Complete product formulation activities to drive efficient production of safe and regulatory-compliant food products, while following R&D processes for efficiency and effectiveness.
• Maintain GLP’s, GMP’s, and all required laboratory records, using electronic systems and written protocols, to ensure data integrity and compliance.
• Ensure the security and confidentiality of all information regarding our Innovation or Client product formulas and related data.
• Support the hiring and growth of summer interns, fostering talent development within the organization.
• May travel up to 30% as required for project collaboration and knowledge exchange.
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Food Science, Food Technology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or a related field. (a degree in the Alternate Protein field is highly preferred).
• Bachelors with minimum 5 years of Research & Product Development experience in the food industry, including at least 3 years in the alternate protein business.
• Master’s with minimum 2-3 years of Research & Product Development experience in the alternate protein food industry.
• Solid understanding of ingredient functionality, application and downstream processing techniques used in the commercialization of Alternative Protein consumer packaged goods.
• In-depth understanding of scientific/experimental process and good scientific practices.
• Exposure to commercialization of a range of food product formats and processes is highly desired.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to interpret complex data sets.
• Excellent communication and presentation abilities, with the capability to convey technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
• Proven ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
• Demonstrated ability to independently set up and conduct experiments.
Prior Experience working with breakthrough innovation projects.