OVERVIEW Reporting to the Sr. Director of Process Engineering. This process engineering position works in close cross-functional collaboration with other process engineers and the Innovation, Commercialization and Operations teams to bring new Beyond Meat innovation from the feasibility stage through to production-scale capability and readiness, achieving successful and on-time production launches. Priorities include executing process engineering, development, and scale-up of food manufacturing processes which successfully deliver production manufacturing lines with demonstrated process capability that produce in specification product for commercial launch programs and initiatives.This role requires executing successful process engineering work for pilot product-by-process development and scale-up through commissioning and verification of production-intent capability and readiness of the manufacturing processes and equipment. The ideal candidate will be a process engineer with successful experience in applying robust science and data capture in executing food process development work from pilot stage through to the commissioning and qualification of new product introductions into high volume production for commercial launches. The individual must demonstrate self-initiative in organizing, executing, and delivering value-added results and process engineering deliverable that are aligned with assigned project objectives and scope.
• Effectively communicates, coordinates, and executes within process engineering and the cross-functional product commercialization team to assure well aligned and delivered process engineering learnings, achievements, and ultimate production line capabilities and results
• Works collaboratively between Beyond Meat’s Innovation, Commercialization, and Operations teams on new and renovated product development and introduction programs to assure that the product and its production-intent processes meet program objectives, manufacturability, timelines, and cost targets
• Effectively executes assigned process engineering work in the development of product-by-process, the scale-up and commissioning of manufacturing processes and equipment, and the final verification of their capabilities and readiness necessary to achieve successful product launches and high-volume production
• Organizes and conducts process engineering development, process and equipment trials, process design, specification, commissioning, and verification of food manufacturing processes and equipment for production-intent capability, scale, and readiness
• Strong communication skills and ability to create collaborative relationships across all functions of the org
• Execute and complete process engineering projects and activities required for the successful development and commercialization of food manufacturing processes and equipment which include:
• Assessing and identifying existing (in the BYND manufacturing network) or new food manufacturing process equipment and technology solutions for new or renovated products being pursued. Ability to assess which creative ideas and suggestions will work and project them into the future.
• Advancing product-by-process development from the feasibility stage to final new product introduction and production launch. Doing so by working collaboratively with the various commercialization, innovation, manufacturing, quality, and supply chain teams throughout the process.
• Designing and running effective DOEs, sensitivity, scaling, and process capability trials.
• Developing and achieving product-by-process viability and design-for-manufacturability at pilot scale which is scalable and capable of meeting project objectives. Identifying key product and process parameters and scaling factors necessary for production scale-up and success.
• Ensuring quality and food safety critical control points and requirements are built into the equipment and processes.
• Establishing engineering specifications and providing engineering oversight for equipment and associated tooling selection, procurement, installation, and commissioning.
• Developing cost estimates, budgets (capital and expense), and associated plans for the process engineering portion of project activities, equipment, and tooling requirements.
• Implementing and verifying production-scale process capability. Establishing the production process parameters, criteria, and capabilities for materials, processes, and equipment for production readiness and launch.
• Achieving reliable, scalable, and cost-effective processes and equipment solutions in the commercialization of new and renovated products launched into production.
• Problem solving ability to simplify complex processes/situations and figure out the steps to get things done in practice.
• Customer service orientation that seeks to understand and anticipate the needs of others, while practicing attentive and active listening and flexing style to meet the requirements of changing situations.
• Develop perspectives that paint credible visions of possibilities and ability to integrate different ideas and points of view.
• Drive for results that faces challenges head-on. Quickly senses what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal and ability to adjust for roadblocks, measuring performance against goals.
• Travel to facilities and suppliers in North America, and at times internationally. Must be willing to travel 50% of the time.
• Experience: 4 years of relevant food process engineering experience in NPI process development, production scale-up, and commercial launches.
• BS in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Process Engineering, Biosystems Engineering or Food Process Engineering required.
• Successful process engineering development, scale-up, and commissioning skills with a track record of establishing and executing high value-add work output, trials, and production launch results.
• Relevant process engineering experience working with R&D, Commercialization, and Operations is required.
• Demonstrated engineering experience in an aggressive growth business environment with a track record of overcoming difficult challenges in achieving business and project objectives.