Commercial Construction Pre-construction Manager/Estimator
We are a full-service, multi-discipline, sales, architectural, engineering and construction firm providing full turnkey design-build solutions for commercial, medical, industrial and CEA projects. We are seeking an experienced Pre-construction Manager to join our growing team. As a Pre-construction Manager/Estimator, you will lead pre-construction activities, and assist in the development and implementation of our corporate policies and procedures to achieve established corporate goals and support our corporate mission.
The Pre-Construction Manager will be responsible for ensuring that all aspects of a construction project are planned and organized prior to breaking ground. This involves a great deal of organization, communication, and problem-solving skills. The most important skill for a Pre-Construction Manager to have is the ability to think logically and strategically. This includes the ability to analyze complex problems, identify solutions, and communicate effectively with all stakeholders. In addition, the Manager must be able to manage multiple projects at once, prioritize tasks, and remain organized in order to ensure the successful completion of the project. Furthermore, they must be knowledgeable in the areas of budgeting, scheduling, and risk management.
The Pre-construction Manager/Estimator will be responsible for initial project due diligence, soliciting subcontractor pricing, preparation of project budget, estimate and preparation of construction proposals.
1. Interface with potential clients and represent the company in a positive and professional manner.
2. Develop and maintain relationships with contractors, supplies, and other industry professionals.
3. Thorough understanding of local and national construction markets and trends.
4. Perform market due diligence regarding site logistics, code, and tax jurisdictions.
5. Bid solicitation and management with local subcontractors, suppliers, and trade groups.
6. Working knowledge of CSI division construction codes.
7. Read, interpret, and accurately measure blueprints and shop drawings.
8. Ability to define scope of work from construction documents.
9. Prepare conceptual budget and cost estimates based on drawings and client information.
10. Plan, lead, and coordinate pre-bid activities.
11. Prepare job specific strategy to maximize value for client and organization.
12. Perform material quantity take offs from construction plans and drawings.
13. Knowledge and understanding of how to assemble materials into various units of measure.
14. Preparation of bid packages and solicitation of quotes from subcontractors.
15. Assessment of subcontractor qualifications and scope review of estimates.
16. Attend pre-bid job walks.
17. Gather, generate, and submit pre-construction RFI’s to the A/E design team.
18. Develop and maintain detailed back-up files and bid tabulations organized by CSI divisions.
19. Track and follow up on bid results for historical data.
20. Assist PM in subcontractor negotiations.
21. Estimate and manager multiple projects simultaneously in the pre-construction phase.
1. Expert knowledge of the construction industry as it relates to A/E design and building construction for new ground up projects, as well as retrofit tenant improvement in existing structures.
2. Knowledge of contracting procedures, cost estimating, value engineering, and project buy out.
3. Good communication skills, candidate must have the ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with team members, owners, government officials, managers, peers, subcontractors, and material vendors.
4. Good organizational and time management skills.
Manage small team of estimators.
This position operates in a 70/30 split between the office and field.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work This is a salaried full-time position requiring a minimum of 40 hours per week. Ideal candidates will occasionally work 50–60 hour weeks. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, typically 7:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
This position will be primarily office based but will be required to travel to job sites around the country to perform pre-bid job walks and site inspection visits.
Required Education and Experience
1. 4-year degree or graduate degree from an accredited college or university.
2. 10 plus years of related construction experience.
Preferred Education and Experience
1. College degree in construction management, architecture, engineering; or possession of GC license, or professional registration as an architect or engineer.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk, see & hear. The employee is required to frequently stand, walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Qualifications Possession of a valid driver’s license.